Thursday, July 29, 2010

Blueberry Cake

The blueberries in my yard have just exploded and it was time to pick a bunch today. I got about 10 cups off of the 3 bushes just today. There will be more on the way. We have given away some and now we must use them while they are fresh. We still have some in the freezer from last year! They are really good over ice cream, just simple and sweet. I thought I would continue the adventures of cooking with xylitol and make a blueberry cake.
We have a family recipe that involves butter and the main ingredients seen below, for the most part. Keeping that in mind, I modified a recipe I found on Smitten Kitchen for blueberry boy bait, a wonderful cake. I used the milk we had on hand, instead of whole. I added 1 tsp. vanilla to the recipe. I used xylitol everywhere the recipe called for granulated sugar. I did use the brown sugar where called for.
So I cut out about 3/4 of the granulated sugar. Where it lacks in grams of sugar, it makes up for it in butter!
I baked it at 350 for 40 min. instead of 45-50 min. Voila!


You could just dig in and eat it plain like this. Yum.


Or you could squirt some whipping cream on and a few more blueberries for good measure.

Or you could squirt on a TON of whipping cream, like my husband did here:

Either way....it was good. Time for a walk to burn off some of those calories!

4 comments:

knitterbeader said...

Your blueberry boy bait (try saying that fast 3 times!), looked so yummy I copied the recipe and am anxious to get some blueberries and make it. I don't have any berries in my yard, but there's a lot of farms around that have them. Where do you buy your Xylitol? Sounds like a good thing to use (however the 2 sticks of butter sure add on the calories).

Jeannine said...

The xylitol is at Super Supplements or QFC. or probably any health food store. We were trying to cut the sugar. But yes the butter is definitely caloric!

Beatriz said...

That looks like a wonderful recipe. I'll be sure to bookmark it for later use. Thanks for sharing the wonderful pics. And what a fruitful blueberry bush you have in your yard!

choo choo knits said...

we have a bunch of blueberries and this cake sounds like JUST the thing.

We've also been known to use the (*shameful*) Cinnabon Cake Mix and just add blueberries - same concept, more calories I'm sure!