Friday, October 17, 2008

Beginning my Loppem

Enjoyed wearing Everyday Cardi today! It is a very WARM yarn! (Peace Fleece wool) Here's a pic I took of it in the sun, since this might be our last weekend to actually see the sun for awhile. And today as I was getting my teriyaki chicken, the clerk asked if I made my sweater. "Why yes, actually I did!", and then she told me she also knit. Knitters seem to recognize genuine hand-knitting when they see it! I also found out the ladies at the nail salon I go to all started knitting scarves and when the shop closes, or it is slow, they sit and knit. Admit it, we knitters are everywhere! Today was a great day because my Blue Star Coffee Roasters coffee order arrived in the mail! YES!! One lb. of Hwy. 20 blend and 1 lb. of the Espresso blend. I sound like a commercial. I love this coffee! It's also a great day because I have started on the Norah Gaughan "Loppem" sweater which I am very excited about doing! If you click on the link in blue, you can see it up close. I ended up getting gauge on a size 9, and using Cascade Heathers 220 yarn in aporto blue. The pattern called for size 8 needles and used Berroco "Palace" yarn which I was unable to find. This sweater is a swing cardi with a yoke and cap sleeves with two buttons (also pictured above). It has a cable down both sides of the front. It requires you to cast on 196 st. (alot!) for size 38 because it is knit from the bottom up, in one piece. I have already made my first mistake and had to frog back to start over, but now I know what to watch for. This is my first sweater with cables. An errata sheet has been posted on the Berroco website since some errors have been found, as well as I have the advantage of seeing what others have done ahead of me through Ravelry.com. This one is going to be a beauty!

1 comment:

Delaney's Duds said...

Can't wait to see it! good luck!