Monday, February 21, 2011

Ubernatural Cardigan




Stefanie Japel's Ubernatural Cardigan: size 15 needles, size 13 for ribbing. 1 and 1/2 skeins Alpine chunky wool.
With a few more buttons "on order", I can still try it on with 6 sewn on!
My daughters says she likes it this way with just the top ones on and besides, I don't know if I will be able to button the lower ones anyway. Brrrrrrrrrrrr! It's cold out today for a photo shoot! Great knitting weather!



It is sweater weather and I'm loving being a knitter this time of year! This one, once I finally got going, went so fast due to the bulky yarn and needles. The concept behind this sweater is that it is topdown, raglan, knit with chunky yarn, with deep ribbing, and the contrast of the many buttons plays against the minimal neckline detail.
Using 1 1/2 skeins of chunky 14 ply Alpine wool, my Ubernatural Cardigan is based on the Stefanie Japel pattern. My color choice is about as icy tealy blue as a cold snap in Seattle. Which we are having right about now. Mine was made on size 15 needles for body, and 13 for ribbing. It has a million buttonholes. I changed mine to a K2, YO, K2tog. I also lengthened my sleeves a bit. I finished the bottom body ribbing after the 10th button. I just could not bring myself to knit yet another buttonhole so I knit a few more rows and bound off!

I made a few more increases rows than called for at the shoulders until I reached the underarms. That is the beauty of a topdown sweater that you can try on as you go.



Since my needles were chunky I had to resort to wine markers for stitch markers.


This yarn had alot of knots and puffy places in it, but knit up fast. There were a few errors in the pattern so I relied on Ravelry members to set me straight on the
corrections. Mainly that you knit 1 in between the two YO's that make the increases on the shoulders. That was a biggie... I only did one decrease row at the waistline,though did not like the slip1, knit1, pass slipped stitch over and how it looked in this chunky of a yarn. It shows up too much on the finished product. I would just do a ssk instead on one side and a k2tog on the other. And now to hunt for 10 buttons????

2 comments:

knitterbeader said...

Wow, your sweater went fast and turned out beautiful. Needle size and bulky helps, right? I've found that JoAnn's out here on the South Hill have quite a large button selection. Good luck.

Uber Beauty Salon Products said...

Nice to See your valuable new blog for readable and good images for feeling very happy all times - Natural Beauty Salon Products India