Sunday, March 14, 2010

Wearin' of the Green

Check out the cute cupcake for my hubby with Guiness/Irish Cream flavoring, which we snagged at U- Village Trophy Cupcakes. Fun place!
And in the spirit of the "Green"...I will show you what I've been dreaming of making next:

Helleborus Yoke, from Knitscene Winter/Spring 2010


Love, love, love it! I have some "Green Bushes" Aran weight wool that I got in Portland at Dublin Yarns, made by Kerry Woollen Mills in Ireland. I thought: How appropriate for a cute cabled sweater such as this.., but it calls for a bulkier weight yarn so I am thinking this over. The Thaki Tweed Alpaca they used in the magazine is no longer available in the green, and most stores I have checked do not carry it.
Edited to add: I did find some of the olive green Tahki Tweed/Alpaca at two online shops, in two separate states. I found 8 skeins at: FiberWild. They had great customer service and were a pleasure to work with. The other 3 skeins I found at: MyKnitch. The amazing part is that the skeins are of the same dyelot! After days of searching, I about fell over from shock learning that news! Unfortunately this yarn is discontinued, so if you intend on doing this pattern, you will need to scour the nation to find it, or use another bulky. I will save this Aran wool below for another project :) Enjoy your darlin' corned beef, and Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

That sweater is soooo pretty! That yarn is perfect!:) Happy St. Paddy's Day!:)

Beatriz said...

Oh, that sweater is so beautiful. I hadn't seen it yet. I'm going to add it to my favorites for now. Lots of projects in my queue right now. If it calls for bulky yarn, I probably shouldn't be knitting it anyway. Not a flattering look for me. Yes, Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!

Jeannine said...

Thanks, the bummer is the yarn used in the magazine is discontinued as far as I can see and I have found nothing similar in composition so far...still thinkin'...I love the Aran though.

www.materialthoughts.wordpress.com said...

We're about to eat our corned beef and cabbage.... yummmmmmy! That sweater is perfect for you! I wonder if Donegal Tweed would work well for it.